This oil rich city is completely surrounded by Long Beach, but has made its mark by being an economically progressive entity. Although, oil is its trademark, the city has transitioned, by attracting numerous businesses, and also, residential developments which take advantage of the incredible views the city has to offer. Beautiful gated communities and luxurious townhomes now occupy land where oil derricks once existed. Residents can enjoy city sponsored activities and events, and Summer Concerts in the Park. Award winning Long Beach Unified School District services Signal Hill.
- 9,273 population in 2000, according to the U.S. Census
- 2.22 square miles
- 4,171 people per square mile, about average for the Harbor and about average for the county
- The percentages of Asian andblack people are high for the county.
- Highly diverse for the Harborand highly diverse for the county
- $66,283 median household income (2008 dollars), about average for the Harbor andabout average for the county
- In Los Angeles County, Beverly Grove, Palmdale and Pico-Robertson have the most similar household incomes.
- The percentage of households earning $40,000 to $60,000 is high for the county.
- 24.6% of residents 25 and older have a four-year degree, high forthe Harbor but about averagefor the county
- In Los Angeles County, Agua Dulce, Valley Glen andNorthwest Palmdale have the nearest percentage of residents 25 and older with a four-year degree.
- The percentage of residents 25 and older with some college education is high for the county.
- The median age is 33, about average for the Harbor andabout average for the county
- In Los Angeles County, Atwater Village, Castaic Canyons andDuarte have similar median ages.
- The percentage of residents ages 35 to 49 is among the county’s highest.
Occupied housing units
- The percentages of divorced males and divorced females are among the county’s highest.
- There are 536 families headed by single parents. The rate is 25.3%,high for the Harbor and high for the county
- There are 684 veterans, or 10.0%of the population, about averagefor the Harbor but high for the county overall
- The percentage of veterans who served during 1990-99 is among the county’s highest.